Wednesday 29 February 2012

Pike quenelles


This is another dish that Raymond Blanc cooked on his program when he visited Lyon (France) and that I really fancied after watching it! Pike Quenelles!

I cheat and buy mine frozen. All I need to do is a tomato sauce to cover the quenelles and I top them up with grated cheese (I use my favorite French cheese: Comté). The traditional sauce is indeed a crayfish sauce. The proper name for them in French is “Quenelles de brochet sauce Nantua”.

The quenelles need to cook for about 40 – 45 min at 200 degrees in the oven. You know when they are done as they will double in size and look brown!

Serve them straight away as they will “deflate” like a soufflé ! (I took this photo too late, they were a lot bigger 2 minutes earlier!).

I grew up near Lyon and I always have Quenelles when I visit my parents. It is always on the men and they always taste better when my Mam cooks them!

No comments:

Post a Comment