Tuesday 23 March 2010

Recipe for Far Breton


Moving to Brittany made me discover a new culture. Although I am French, Brittany was completely new to me. I had spent several long weekends in Brittany, but I didn’t really know much about it.

During my several stays in Brittany, I always looked for a bakery and ordered some tasty Far Breton. I have now found a great recipe and, even my Breton friends, think it is the best Far they’ve ever had. Well, they might just be polite, but I love it so that is what matters!

If you do a search for a recipe for Far Breton you will probably found several. The one I found is – in my opinion – the best one!

Here is the recipe I follow:

Mix 4 eggs, with 150 g of sugar, 200 g of plain flour, vanilla essence and add 1 liter of fresh milk. I also add a drop of Rhum. Although I don’t drink much, I think alcohol in cooking always brings the ‘je ne sais quoi’ and makes the difference!

Cover a lasagna dish with prunes and pour the mixture. Bake the Far for 45 minutes at 190 degrees.

The Far tastes better the day after.

I have to say using great ingredients is very important.

I am lucky to have free-range eggs from our little chickens and fresh milk from the farm down the road which is very creamy. I have tried to bake the Far with semi-skimmed milk but it is not as nice.

Enjoy a slice of Bar Breton with a cup of tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment